Tuesday, August 2, 2016

More Inappropriate Songs....yada yada

da da di da di da When the stars align....

Jobs may change but the stream of music in my head never goes away. And, thanks to my daughter, the radio at work, and various friends, the file of music keeps increasing. Oh, my, do they ever.

So, I am working along, minding my own business, watching the clock and paying attention to my duties. My boss, who is more than a little crazy, had to introduce me to this. Now, I am a child of the 70's and 80's, so I am very familiar with this group, AC DC. But, not AC DC doing the  Hokey Pokey.

I lost all ability to do any kind of work for a while. I was laughing so hard. My husband told me I was going "Hokey Pokey" and then snorting in my sleep.

Currently, I do not work where the public can see me much, so I have busted a move. This is seriously challenging at my age. It is just that I have a hard time standing still for long periods of time and need to move around a bit, and fidgeting doesn't quite do it anymore. So, if there is music playing, there will be movement. Of course the music of choice at work is... Country.

Now, I have nothing against country. I was raised up on country music. I have Hank Williams Sr still singing in my mind. I watched Hee Haw, and the Porter Wagoner Show. With that in mind, I have to say country music has done changed. Boy howdie, has it ever. Some of this stuff I am unsure where to categorize. Then they get stuck on a phrase that just isn't right. "Gonna" is one of the songs that drive me bats. "Put a ring rock steady on her hand." Then there is "Rock On" which shares a similar line. There are probably more, but I just can't abide the idea of looking for more of a line that I find totally awful.

There are a couple of songs right now that make me kind of homesick, they are so very country.  Jennifer Nettles has one,  and that fellow Billy Currington. Country music is music with strong roots and a specific kind of sound. The steel guitars may not be as abundant as they were in the day, but the twang and the heart is.

My daughter has taken me to a couple of concerts this year. Aren't I lucky? She is pretty awesome and our tastes tend to run together on some things, like music and art. So, anyway, she took me to see a group named Lacuna Coil. They are named for an insane asylum in Italy. I should have  put the name and the genre "heavy metal" together, but I was caught flat footed by this concert and the other three guest bands!

I enjoyed the heck out of those bands!

Then my boss, again the crazy guy, introduces me to a group called Shinedown. Now, there is some music that one wouldn't generally want to sing when serving the public. "State of My Head" kind of reflects how I felt when changing jobs, but it is even grittier. The metal genre is full of language I pretty much detest-bands use the F word as much as they breathe-but there are some pretty good lyrics and stories within the songs. Just hard  to smile and serve the public when, you know, screaming out the favorites...

The other concert my daughter took me too was Lindsey Stirling. The only reason her music is inappropriate to sing at the workplace is, if you have ever seen her perform, you may be tempted to dance all over creation the way she does and use a violin as a weapon.

Please know, in no way am I against music at the workplace. Just think about the words of the songs if you are working with public. Be careful when moshing if it is outside of a known mosh pit. Play nice. Music is as essential as language and breathing.

Have a nice day!



















No comments:

Post a Comment