Monday, August 4, 2014

Sensible Shoes




 I really wish I could wear shoes that were not sensible. High heels. Gladiator Sandals. Thigh-high boots. But no, I have to wear tennis shoes or similar ugly shoes that have good arch support and preferably do not have laces that will untie and trip me. I am officially “stodgy” when it comes to shoes. My feet are flat, ruined with years of wearing the wrong shoes for long shifts running all over concrete floors and stairways of all kinds. Poor things. 

 When I was a kid, though, I remember how grand it felt to get new sneakers for school. You could run so fast, jump so high, those shoes changed everything! I recall a couple of pairs in particular: I had Keds that had the ecology symbol all over them. I believe I wore them until they were practically sandals. Then for the longest time, I got black track shoes from Sears. Great arch support!
Remember earth shoes? Sort of like Birkenstocks but not as cool, with the heel lower than the toes? They were very comfortable. Wish I could still find a pair. My grandma wouldn’t have been able to wear those. Her tendons were trained for high heels, and going barefoot was painful enough that she never did as far as I recall.

Earth shoes, hush puppies, penny loafers and saddle shoes. Black oxfords for marching in, and Penny Loafers were for being preppy in. Deck shoes. Flip flops and Dr Scholls what-do-you-call-ums, those sandals that had a hard soul and just a strap across the toes with a buckle on it. Platform shoes and high-heeled sneekers, which are back in style, only better than before.  Also higher than before. I would break an ankle for sure. Shoe boots.  
 
Oh, my gosh, shoe boots. I begged and begged to get shoe boots, not boots that I had to wear my shoes in, but boots that fit like shoes. The ultimate style, shoe boots. I had to put bread wrappers on to get them on my feet. They would slide right on! But you had to wrestle the things off at the end of the day.

My Dad had a Mason Shoe dealership. The man wore out shoes pretty quickly and had to get new pair often, so it made sense for him to be a Mason shoe dealer. He told me once I could take over his dealership, but by the time I got around to it, they no longer did business through individuals like that. I notice now days they also carry store brand shoes and not their own line any more. Ours were tricky feet to fit, with Dad having wide feet, mom and sis having tiny feet, and the rest of us needing shoes for sports, band, and so on.
 
You have probably noticed that if your feet hurt, your whole day goes down the tubes. You only get one pair of feet…well, you know, flesh and blood feet. It pays to take care of them. Basic foot health is to keep your feet clean and dry, with nails well-trimmed but not cut too close in. Shoes should support your feet and should not pinch. Flip flops, jellies, and whatever else kind of shoe that is flat and thin can cause damage to your arch and blisters to your toes. I used to get the most uncomfortable blisters in between my toes with flip flops. Ouch!
I found this great list online:

10 Tips to Maintain Healthy Feet

1. Inspect your feet regularly and pay attention to changes in color, texture or appearance.
2. Maintain good foot hygiene, including washing and drying between the toes.
3. Hydrate the skin. Southern California weather and open shoes can cause rapid loss of moisture from the skin and may result in cracking or the formation of fissures. It is helpful to replace the moisture content by using lotions or creams on a regular basis. (Weather in any state can effect foot health.)
4. Buy proper-size shoes. You may not wear the same size in shoes made by different manufacturers. Purchase new shoes late in the day, when feet tend to be at their largest. Always buy the shoes that feel the best.
5. Don't ignore foot pain. Symptoms that increase or do not resolve within a reasonable period of time need to be evaluated by your podiatric physician.
6. Cut toenails straight across. Never cut into the corner this could cause an ingrown toenail. Gently file away sharp corners or rough edges with an emery board.
7. Exercise. Walking is a great way to keep weight under control and is an excellent conditioner for the feet. Be sure to wear appropriate athletic shoes when exercising.
8. Alternate your shoes each day. Since the feet have sweat glands, your shoes will absorb moisture from your feet, so it is important to allow your shoes to dry out completely.
9. Avoid walking barefoot to help protect your feet from injury and infection.
10. Put sunblock on your feet while wearing sandals during the day to avoid sunburn.
 

(University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
924 Westwood Blvd., Ste. 350
Los Angeles, CA 90095
United States
http://www.ucla.edu)

 



No comments:

Post a Comment